The Falcon 2000 MRA multi-mission “Maritime Multi-role Aircraft” is equipped with dedicated systems fulfilling the needs of navies worldwide. This Falcon version is developed for missions such as surveillance, reconnaissance, anti-surface attack, electronic warfare or training of fleet.
It demonstrates remarkable performance, during all the flight phases and allows a highly operational flexibility. The Falcon 2000 MRA offers a very light logistical footprint. It can be easily deployed for overseas missions or to remote and isolated airfields.
In March 2015, the Japan Coast Guard selected the Maritime Surveillance Aircraft (MSA) variant of the Falcon 2000 to renew their fleet.
Concept built from
The Falcon 2000 MRA concept has benefited from the experience gained on various programs:
- The long-range maritime patrol aircraft “Atlantic” / “Atlantique” family, delivered to five different navies and air forces.
- The Falcon family aircraft modified for maritime surveillance, operated by several foreign Coast Guard administrations and the French Navy.
- The Falcon derivatives modified for special missions.
The Falcon 2000 MRA is customized to fulfill all, or some of the following missions and tasks, depending on the suite of equipment and sensors selected by the customer:
- Search and Rescue (SAR),
- Monitoring of maritime approaches,
- Anti-Surface Warfare (ASuW),
- Target acquisition and Over The Horizon Targeting (OTHT),
- Economic Exclusive Zone (EEZ) and maritime traffic surveillance,
- Government action at sea,
- Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR),
- Electronic Intelligence / Signal Intelligence (ELINT / SIGINT),
- Naval forces training (target towing, EW simulation…),
- Environment protection,
- Medical evacuation capabilities,
- Personnel and light equipment transportation…
The airframe of the Falcon 2000 has demonstrated its aerodynamic excellence, as well as its sturdiness under all climates and skies around the world. To date, around 500 Falcon 2000 business jets have been delivered and have logged more than 1.8 million flight hours.
To cope with the whole range of Maritime Reconnaissance and Security Missions, the FALCON 2000 MRA is equipped with:
- Four leading edge slats and winglets,
- Oversized observation windows,
- Markers launcher,
- Life rafts dispenser, for SAR mission,
- Multimode radar, under the fuselage,
- Retractable electro-optical turret,
- Underwing store stations for a wide variety of stores (air-to-surface missiles, target towing equipment, electronic warfare/simulation pods…).
The mission system of the Falcon 2000 MRA allows carrying out efficiently the various tasks dedicated to a multi-mission aircraft operated by a reduced crew, thanks to automatic functions and analysis processes.
In a basic configuration, it is composed of:
- A very long range multimode Air-to-Surface radar with dedicated air-to-sea modes,
- A retractable Electro-Optic turret (FLIR), providing a 360° coverage,
- Multi-function workstations with automatic analysis functions, equipped with color displays,
- A complete communication suite, including a SATCOM.
Other configurations allow the aircraft to be fitted with additional equipment (data links, electronic warfare systems, self-protection suite…).
- 2 pilots,
- 2 operators / observers.
- 2 pilots,
- 4 operators / observers.
State-of-the-art flight deck
The Falcon 2000 MRA is equipped with the state-of-the-art Enhanced Avionics System (EASy) cockpit defined by Dassault Aviation.
The flight deck is designed for a two-pilot configuration. EASy has inherited of some concepts issued from modern combat aircraft and flight management systems, which improve man-machine interfaces and represent a breakthrough in the crew resources management.
The Falcon 2000 MRA takes advantage of the Falcon aircraft family outstanding performance.
The twin-jet Falcon 2000 MRA is almost twice faster than a turboprop aircraft. This is essential for quick reaction alerts required to fulfill critical missions, as well as to rapidly monitor large zones. The twin-engine configuration provides a huge reserve of power and unrivalled flight qualities. Fast and safe, the Falcon 2000 MRA is capable of climbing at high altitude and of flying above adverse weather conditions, even with one engine inoperative.
It features necessary capabilities for a land based Maritime Surveillance Aircraft:
- No take-off restriction up to ISA+20°C at MTOW,
- Low fuel consumption,
- Long range / long endurance,
- Fast speed to minimize transit time,
- Outstanding maneuverability at low speed / low altitude,
- Significant payload, with full fuel.
The Falcon 2000 MRA is perfectly suited for maritime operations: it is fast, persistent, capable and safe. This platform, associated to a state-of-the-art mission system, is eligible for growth potential to meet any new requirement that could arise during the whole life of the aircraft.
The Falcon 2000 MRA is powered by two PW 308C engines with 7,000 lbs thrust each. Each engine is monitored by dual channel Full Authority Digital Electronic Control (FADEC), allowing the best efficiency and minimum fuel consumption, during each segment of the mission.
Falcon aircraft are designed to meet the highest reliability, maintainability and safety criteria.
The Falcon 2000 MRA features a very light maintenance costs and demonstrates an impressive dispatch reliability. The Falcon can be operated from Forward Operating Bases without need for heavy Ground Support Equipment (GSE) and specific ground crew.
Falcon’s maintenance policy is intended to maintain these highest standards at a minimum cost and optimum ease operators’ work. If required, maintenance operations can also be performed through an authorized service centre.