On this day, in 1939, the MB 161 made its first flight at Villacoublay, with René Le Bail at the controls.
Forty aircraft were ordered by Air France in 1945 and a further five were ordered by the Polish airline LOT (Polskie Linie Lotnicze). Others were used by the French Air Force, as flying test-beds for engines and the Leduc prototypes, and by the French Navy for search and rescue duties. A total of one hundred aircraft were built and Air France used its aircraft until the middle 50s. The last Languedoc aircraft were sold by Air France in 1955, essentially to airlines Aviacion y Commercio, Iberia, Misrair and Air Liban.