On this day, in 1947, the MB 303 made its first flight at Merignac, piloted by Georges Brian and Kostia Rozanoff, accompanied by the mechanic Jean Dillaire.
After the second world war, Marcel Dassault wished to design a prototype with a view to winning the open competition for a liaison aircraft, which the government had announced.
The project of a twin-engine BA 30 liaison aircraft designed by Bordeaux-Aéronautique during the occupation was again studied and redesigned. After examining the 3-view drawing, Marcel Dassault raised the horizontal stabilizers and asked for the fuselage nose to be extended so as to house the fore wheel. He also decided on a more powerful engine and defined the propellers. The project, now called the MB 30, was to carry two Snecma 12 S Argus engines.
The Air Ministry showed an interest, asking Marcel Dassault for a full-scale model. The aircraft and design of the aircraft had been carried out at the Corporation’s own cost and offered him three models:
- MB 30-1, a bombing and navigation trainer
- MB 30-2, for medical and colonial roles
- MB 30-3, liaison and training aircraft
On July 30, 1946, Marcel Dassault secured a contract to produce and provide two MD 30 type aircraft in two versions :
- A pilot training and liaison aircraft (n°1) which became the MB 303
- A bombing and navigation training aircraft (n° 2) which became the MB 301.