On this day, in 1952, the Mystère IV made its first flight at Melun-Villaroche, with André Kostia Rozanoff at the controls.
The first Mystère IV A to be delivered to the Air Force was accepted by the 12th Cambrai Wing on May 25, 1955. It was at the Cambrai base that the first aerobatics team was trained on the new aircraft. On July 14, 1955, twelve of them flew in formation over the Champs Elysées for the Bastille Day parade.
In all, 411 aircraft were manufactured and delivered, whether to the French Air Force or for export, from 1954 to 1958; 114 were equipped with the Rolls-Royce Tay, all the others (particularly the export models) with the Hispano-Suiza Verdon 350 (a more powerful version of the Tay). The last of the 242 French Mystère IV A was delivered to the Air Force on November, 27, 1958. It finished its working life at the 8th Cazaux Fighter Wing, where it was used for fighter pilot training.