On this day, in 1956, Super Mystère B2 made its first flight in Melun-Villaroche with Réné Bigand and Jean Dillaire at the controls.
The Super-Mystère B 2 was a development of the Super-Mystère B 1 but equipped with the Snecma Atar 101 G preferred by the Air Force.
After the good results attained by the Super-Mystère B 1 and in anticipation of improvements with the larger central plane of the Super-Mystère B 2, Marcel Dassault began negotiations with the authorities to produce the B 2 in lieu of the Mystère IV B ordered 1954.
On March 29, 1955, the DTIA accepted and terminated the Mystère IV B contract, ordering:
- 100 further Mystère IV A with the Verdon jet engine
- 5 pre-production Mystère IV B 2 with the fuselage and wing of the B 1and the Atar G 32 jet engine
- 40 Mystère IV B2 with spare parts, plus servicing and maintenance tools.
The first production-standard aircraft flew at Mérignac on February 26, 1957 and the first examples were delivered to the 10th Creil Fighter Wing in May of 1958.