In the spectacular culmination of an exceptional project, the Mirage IVA 45/BR was transferred from the 279 airbase in Châteaudun to the Yorkshire Air Museum, one of the world’s top aviation museums, in Elvington, United Kingdom.
The gift of this Mirage IV symbolizes the close ties between the French Air Force and the RAF Elvington airbase, which was home to French squadrons 346 “Guyenne” and 347 “Tunisie” from June 1944 to October 1945.
Once they had returned to France after the liberation, these two squadrons were the first to be equipped with the Mirage IV, between 1960 and 1980.
The exceptional convoy of “one of France’s most emblematic airplanes,” to quote Madame Sylvie Bermann, the French Ambassador in London, has been made possible thanks to donations from French, English, Canadian, and North American companies.
In honor of this momentous occasion, the Yorkshire Air Museum has set up a special website to provide daily reports on the event.